Kentico Product Ideas

Welcome to the community site for sharing and discussing your ideas for Kentico, the integrated marketing solution.

Help us better understand your needs so that we can deliver a product you love. It’s easy!
Simply share your ideas, comment on the ideas of others and vote for those you want to see happen in Kentico.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hide or customise Kentico 12 Form Builder components

Hide and customise default K12 Form Builder components.

At the moment there are no ways to hide or customise form builder components in Kentico 12 and it can be frustrating for the content editors.

A good example is for us, where we would never use the US Post Code form component, so it would be good to hide this.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Limit Widgets allowed in Widget Zone

Very simple, would be great to be allowed to limit what types of widgets are allowed in Widget zones. This way we can place a widget zone and allow specific widgets in there only (like a footer link widget in the footer area, or a header link widget, etc).

Would be relatively simple. Add a widget class selector field to a Webpart zone that's set to be a Widget zone, then have the Widget selector filter the available widgets based on that.

144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. MVC + Portal Model (Widgets)

I would have like to start using MVC with Kentico since the company I work for prefers MVC pattern over Web Forms. However after talking to Kentico support we found out you can not use the portal model with MVC.

Is this functionaility planned for any feature release or part of Kentico 8?

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better error message for invalid license in MVC sites

When creating an MVC project and using an invalid or expired license, the mvc application is showing a 503.0 error. There should be a friendly message to guide you to look at the Event Log application. Also, the message in the log should be in Error state instead of Warning to really catch your eyes. An invalid or expired license is preventing the application from running, so for example, if we have cron jobs that look for error types and send emails, we won't catch that error in production if the filter is for Error only.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. MVC on Free Edition

As of version 10 in Kentico, if a Developer wants to host a website built using Kentico CMS using MVC, they need to purchase a license for it.

This is a barrier for developers to enter and try out Kentico CMS with MVC. Since Kentico recently announced (at the Roadshows) that MVC would become the primary development model in the next version, it makes sense to provide access to this model for new developers in that version. However as it stands, they will be forced to use one of the other, non-preferred development models (Portal, ASPX or Mixed) to evaluate…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. create custom table from existing table

There should be an option when creating a custom table to create one based on existing table. So I would create a table using SQL queries directly in MSSQL, and I might want to tie it into the CMS later. I would be given the option to lcreate a custom table based on an existing table, and the custom table would generate the records necessary to view the data in the cms custom table section. It would not generate the new table as it already exists but merely facilitate the process which will allow me to view, edit and delete…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, please see https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9/Creating+custom+tables

Use an existing database table – choose this option if you already have a physical table in the system database and want to register it in the system.
    Database table name – the actual name of the table in the system database. The drop-down list offers only database tables which are not part of the default Kentico database schema and are not yet registered for any object.
    Primary key name – primary key column name. The original table’s primary key column is used automatically. Note that this column needs to be an identity column as well.

If you run into issues, please contact our support. (support@kentico.com)

David Komarek
    Content Management Product Owner

7. Assign Objects - add page types into this list

Hello

When importing a site and not overwriting the Page Types during the import, is there a way to bulk assign Page Types to a site?

The Assign Objects route seems like it is missing Page Types. Is there a reason this is excluded? How easy could it be added in?

Thanks

Ilesh

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Limit Web Parts accessible by Role

I've been working on a web site for a client and came across a requirement where I had to look at creating some very basic web parts to allow a clients team to be able to manipulate their site. As an example we created a 'Style Link' web part which rendered the Text of the lin without URL encoding. This was used by the clients IT staff to help design pages, but was not supposed to be allowed for content editors.

I would, therefore, like to propose that web parts get an ACL so that we can control who has…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Hide Page Tab

Would like the ability to hide or suppress the "Page" tab when there is no action that can be taken on that page. i.e. the document type does not support any editing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

please have a look at https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9/Creating+content+only+page+types

further, on behalf of the Kentico PM team, I want to say thank you for sharing your idea with us and the ever-growing Kentico community. A lot of exciting things have happened in Kentico in the past two years but we realize we haven’t kept on top of our UserVoice like we should have. That’s going to change – http://devnet.kentico.com/articles/kentico-uservoice-clean-up
    It’s time to clean up and kick-start the Kentico UserVoice to utilize it like it should have been all along. Since there were no new supporters or comments on your idea in the past 12 months, and the idea doesn’t fit our product vision, I’ve had to make the tough decision to close this post.
    But we still need you! Continue sending your ideas to us, after all nobody knows what is needed more than the users.

Regards,

David Komárek
    Content Management Product…

11. Kentico should use its own alias for jQuery

Kentico should use its own alias for jQuery to avoid javascript conflicts with customer-loaded jQuery (e.g. when latest version is needed), so $ and jQuery aliases should be preserved for customer's scripts and plugins without the use of jQuery.noConflict() and other workarounds.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow CMSPortalManager scripts to be suppressed for ASPX templates

In version 8, CMSPageManager has been removed. We used this in version 7 and earlier for our ASPX template pages when in live mode to prevent the volume of javascript and markup that CMSPortalManager emits from rendering to the page.

Since CMSPortalManager is now the only option I'd like to see an opt-in setting at the page or template level that for live mode of ASPX templates suppresses the script and markup it emits.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    On behalf of the Kentico PM team, I want to say thank you for sharing your idea with us and the ever-growing Kentico community. A lot of exciting things have happened in Kentico in the past two years but we realize we haven’t kept on top of our UserVoice like we should have. That’s going to change – http://devnet.kentico.com/articles/kentico-uservoice-clean-up
    It’s time to clean up and kick-start the Kentico UserVoice to utilize it like it should have been all along. Since there were no new supporters or comments on your idea in the past 12 months, and the idea doesn’t fit our product vision, I’ve had to make the tough decision to close this post.
    But we still need you! Continue sending your ideas to us, after all nobody knows what is needed more than the users.

Regards,

David Komárek
    Content Management Product Owner

13. Add .svg files to app_themes folder

Allow upload of .svg file to the app_themes folder. This will be very practical with the push toward mobile and use of .svg icons/images related to the CSS all in one folder.

196 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. document aliases with query strings

It would be great if we could map urls with just different query strings to different documents like:

/page.php?id=1 -> /Home.aspx
    /page.php?id=2 -> /News.aspx

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. improved picture management

upload in original size with full metadata. store select metadata in db for display + search. automatically move orginal sized image to special storage share. resize picture to two prediefined sizes (e.g. hd 1920x1080 + vga 640x480) in set quality (e.g. 70%), remove metadata, add selected metadata (e.g. copyright) and store resized pictures in db. use the appropriate one depending on picture and/or browser window size whenever the picture is used on the website. allow tagging and management of thousands of pictures.

397 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I am glad to announce that improved support for Responsive images management is part of Kentico 10!

You can get Kentico 10 from http://www.kentico.com/download-demo

Our Dancing Goat demo site includes sample usage of variants and filters its Articles section.

You can find the full documentation for Responsive images management at: https://docs.kentico.com/k10/developing-websites/managing-responsive-images

David Komarek
    Product Owner

16. Add a setting to disable preview mode globally

Currently, when you're logged in as an admin and visit your Kentico site (just as a non-authenticated user would), you are shown by default Preview Mode, which shows unpublished items as if they were published. There are a number of ways to get out of this mode and see the site as a typical user would (go into CMS Desk and click "Live Site", click "close" on the grey bar on top of the screen, edit your cookies, etc). But none of these are permanent or able to be set up for an installation globally.
    I propose adding a new…

261 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello to all supporters!

I am glad to let you know that the following setting has been added:

Allow preview mode on the live site
    (https://docs.kentico.com/display/K10/Settings+-+Content+management)

Simply unchecking it for a website or globally on your development instance will let you bypass the preview mode.

On production environments, you can still keep it checked for your editors.

Thanks for all the comments and votes,

David Komarek
    Product Owner

17. Copy Document Type

Sometimes a document is CLOSE to what I want but not exactly what I need. I don't want to modify the existing document type or muddy the waters by adding irrelevant transformations and fields so I have to create a brand new document resembling the old one.

It would ne nice to copy the document and then be able to change whatever I need to at that point.

193 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Released  ·  Jaroslav Kordula responded

From version 7 you can clone most of the CMS objects. You can also inherit the document types.

18. Translation Tagging / Reporting

It would be good if:
    1) Pages could be marked "Please translate into [Language]". This would be handy in cases where only a subset of content is relevent for another language.

2) Need a report which lists ALL content for translation or which has changed in the origianl language (not just an overview of one level of nodes).

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More control over culture specific URLs

We should be able to define site-wide culture specific URLs, like /en/xxx or /fr/xxx. These settings must then be automatically inherited on all child elements.

At the moment you can automatically create culture specific URL path, but these are not very nice and are not inherited.

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support for Google Tag Manager

Tag Management is important so marketing staff can implement tracking code, and other marketing code, without having to mess with the template on the website.

Google Tag Manager (like other tag management software) creates a 'container' for marketing staff to set up necessary tracking code without bothering developers, or messing up the main code.

Google Tag Manager (GTM) is free, and incredibly useful for advanced online marketers needing to implement and update tracking codes in an agile environment.

GTM FAQ: https://www.google.com/tagmanager/faq.html

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base