If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Limit Widgets allowed in Widget Zone

Very simple, would be great to be allowed to limit what types of widgets are allowed in Widget zones. This way we can place a widget zone and allow specific widgets in there only (like a footer link widget in the footer area, or a header link widget, etc).

Would be relatively simple. Add a widget class selector field to a Webpart zone that's set to be a Widget zone, then have the Widget selector filter the available widgets based on that.

144 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Trevor Fayas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello,

we are exploring the options on how to limit widgets that can be added to various zones that are available to content editors on the whole web.

Limiting widgets per zone is one of the most considered options.

(Please note that the main focus is on the MVC devleopment model)

If you have any suggestions on what possibilities to limit widgets you would appreciate, please leave a comment below!

David Komarek
Product Owner

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Trevor Fayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for considering! Although hopefully you'll add it to portal along with MVC once you get that all going. Still would love to have this, and still come up from time to time with need for it.

• James Stewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't personally done much work with widgets in Kentico before, but I'm baffled that this isn't an out of the box feature. Michael's right in that it's actually quite unprofessional to have to explain to clients that they should only use certain types. This needs to be configurable, otherwise you can't really have any confidence in users using the widget zones correctly

• Michael Eustace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo the statements of other comments here. The ability to constrain the list of available widgets on a per-widget zone basis is a much needed feature. Clients (especially non-technical ones) naturally expect that any available widget will "work" in the widget zone, but that just isn't the case as some might now style correctly in the context of the widget zone. It's kind of embarrassing when you have to explain to them to make a note of the widgets which (for styling reasons) are "compatible" with the widget zone.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - definitely needed - lots of clients just want to be able to add a single widget type to a specific zone rather than be confused by lots of choices. This would be an awesome feature.

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes have to manage just this requirement for the client:
    - Restriction by widget type
    and
    - Max number of widgets in the zone

• Mark Handy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had to do this too. I went so far as to duplicating webpart with a new naming convention and said only these had been tested and developed for.

One other thought would be a way to flag with webpart are allowed on a page.

• Elmar Höfinghoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpfull if the web part or widget list could be filtered by the page type and/or the page template where it should be added to.

Currently I have to explain our content editors which of the web parts or widgets are designed to be placed in which page types or page templates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base