If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

The Administration UI should be available on mobile devices

You should be able to effectively use the Administration UI on tablets and other mobile devices

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rachel Shearer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ahmad Yunus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is crucial for our content writers who are on mobile and have no access to their desktop computers.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is surprising, frustrating and disappointing that Kentico can't be accessed from mobile devices. This is a serious hindrance to your customers and I would encourage you to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

• Dave Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to update maintenance messages on the home page and log in page of our website from a mobile phone would be great!

• Sean Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see Orders & Forms first. Pages, Custom Module UI using Portal Engine templates & extenders and Products would be next on my list.

• Beau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the pages app, I feel that read only is a good idea, along with having a section for comments/notes for any changes that administrators need to communicate to each other. Perhaps having someone who completes the workflow for publishing a page can have a publish button at the bottom of a page or something.

Being able to pull reports and orders with the ability to email the results to an individual or group or people would be a nice addition.

• Benj Borseth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we would like to be able to publish/Unpublish pages on mobile along with light text editing on tablets. For example when away from the office being able to quickly edit some text for a promotion etc on a tablet would be very useful for us. We generally have pages changed when items are on promotion and sometimes someone may have published a typo or similar that would be great to be able to quickly fix.

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We are currently considering the responsive design for the most used parts of administration.

We have to start somewhere and step by step eventually cover the most parts. According to the comments the "popular" apps are Custom tables, Forms, Pages, Orders and Store reports. Do you agree?

However, Pages app is a little bit tricky. What do the editors (or others) need to do within pages app when they are on a mobile/tablet? I can't imagine tweaking the page design on a phone, so maybe read only?

Thank you

Regards,

Michal Kadak
    Platform Product Owner

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dominik,

Thank you for the response Dominik. What approach is Kentico taking to try to make the admin UI more functional in mobile devices? Responsive design? Native apps?

Being able to create responsive websites is one of our core requirements now for most of our company websites. I would bet this is something every company would love from their CMS tool so if Kentico can help or make it easier to deliver responsive websites using OOTB solution it would be another plus for Kentico. Fact that Kentico admin UI is not causes us to create custom admin screens for our users. Currently Kentico live tiles don't even show up on iPads so I would say fixing that and ensuring all the admin functions work in tablets should be high priority. Ultimate solution would be to have the admin UI be responsive and functional on tablets and smart phones. If Kentico is planning to create native admin app in the future perhaps Xamarin could be used to build Windows, iOS and Android native apps leveraging much of your existing c# code. But if Kentico admin UI is responsive, I only see native apps providing value if it can work in offline mode (i.e. do something offline and sync to web when online).

• Mukesh Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Front end developer so experiencing Kentico admin in Tablet/Mobile is not as expected. All module should be visible based on devices. Since the corporate user mostly using Tablet / Android to work on Kentico admin. I would advise below things to enhance Kentico admin for different devices.
    1. The performance should increase as the pages getting delayed loading
    2. In Ipad/tablet, Kentico admin should look like desktop view. UI should optimize.
    3. Kentico admin UI should have better layout in mobile, so that each module become visible.
    4. All table should be visible in both Tablet/Mobile. If the width of table is not fitted into the screen, we can have the container on top of that, so that user can scroll and see entire table.

• Apun Sehgal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are creating admin portal, where we are creating different roles. Each role will have different contribution access to different modules (Custom tables, Forms and Pages). Our representatives will be contributing to our site from field. Most of them are using tablets. And there are a lot of functional issues being faced, because of no support to mobile/tablets. Few of them are as below:
    1. Modules/Tiles not visible on Administration home page
    2. Horizontal scrolling not available for tables(Listing pages)
    3. Verticle scrolling not working on forms (Complete forms are not being displayed)
    4. The site was not locked even after inactivity from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
    5. No visible sign while navigating from one page to another inside administration(Like loading symbol while saving)

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All admin features should work with tablets at the minimum. More and more corporate users are using tablets to conduct business and if we are to build solutions on Kentico to supports these it needs to be able to support tables out of box. More tablets/mobile devices are being sold than laptops now days.

Feedback and Knowledge Base