If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Allow recurring payment option for payment using existing gateway

The payment gateway options available in Kentico do not have the capability to make a particular transaction as recurring.
We have membership as a product, and want to give option to user to auto-renew it on completion. At the moment, we have an alert mail that can be sent X number of days prior to completion of membership, and ask user to make another payment.
Authorize.Net have this option.
Authorize.Net is available as a payment option with Kentico. It would be nice if one order can have the option to make the payment recurring.

63 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nishant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello

How do you currently implement recurring donations or membership renewal?

Is there a common scenario for the membership renewal? e.g. Purchaser will buy a membership/donate, and after a year an email will be sent to this Purchaser with new billing info and payment link or confirmation that a recurring payment was made?

Kind Regards
Michal Kadak
E-commerce and Platform Product Owner

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brenden Kehren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've set this up with Authorize.NET and some custom code. With this provider you need to have a profile created with a few other keys for each user. Then we have a scheduled task that runs 3 times in a given period of X days and will process any memberships that have not yet been processed for this year. If the payment fails, the scheduled task sends an email to the member with the given error and logs an event log record with that members info. Same is true if a renewal succeeds, an email is sent to the member and the members renewal period is updated in Kentico.

• Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No need to ask the user to enter billing address because he/she already knows that they are paying recurring payment ultimately they need is notification through EMAIL/SMS for example i donated $10 to a charity as recurring first month i will get email .next month same date also i need email saying your recurring payment is done. The Recurring payment should be configurable recurring cane done for every 10 days or 15 days or monthly or 3 months etc....

• Neil Evenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Membership renewal is different from recurring donations.
    The scenario you outlined, and supported by Nishant's comment is common. A renewal reminder email is important. Also if the renewal fails for whatever reason, the member should be notified and their access privileges removed

• Nishant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, the user is purchasing membership from kentico site.
    We renew memberships yearly from Authorize.net, as it has recurring billing option.
    The user is sent an email that payment was completed, and the membership is renewed.

An email may be sent prior to renewal, that they will be billed with existing payment details.
    Additionally, an alternative payment link would be nice, as it would give user the flexibility to use other payment option, in cases where the old card might have been discontinued/expired.

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello

How do you currently implement recurring donations or membership renewal?

Is there a common scenario for the membership renewal? e.g. Purchaser will buy a membership/donate, and after a year an email will be sent to this Purchaser with new billing info and payment link or confirmation that a recurring payment was made?

Kind Regards
    Michal Kadak
    E-commerce and Platform Product Owner

• Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the scenario of a public user can donate amount by recurring payment i.e by every month he/she can donate the 20$ or 30$ else what ever their wish.and also he/she can cancel recurring at any time.
    We don't have developed webpart for this scenario.In these modern days recurring is also mandatory for payments.

• Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also need this badly for my client recurring payments in these days recurring payments are mandatory

• Mahesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we are also searching for same thing.
    if user is registering for an event if it has recurring option(EMI'S) how to do it in kentico9 through api

• Neil Evenden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Membership product type is implemented for subscriptions, so there should be a renewal process. Renewal emails. Renewal payments - see other idea for recurring payments

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes we are looking at implemented yearly reoccurring membership payments along with monthly reoccurring donation payments.

• Rene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to implement regular donations (monthly or weekly). We are using Kentico 9, has it already been implemented?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Petr, Monthly recurring membership subscription is a very common scenario and one that I am implementing right now.

• Louise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very useful feature, I have the scenario of a charity website who would like to use recurring payments to make monthly donations

• AdminPetr Vozak (Admin, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guilllermo, I really appreciate your willingness to share your code with us. If you have a complete solution which can be used by other developers, feel free to submit it to our market place, see http://devnet.kentico.com/Marketplace/Submit-new-item.aspx. Anyway, please contact our support team to evaluate your solution and consider it for future integration. Thanks.

• Guillermo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Petr,
    Actually this is the functionality out of the box, but lets face it. I have paid subscription in lots of sites and none of them are sending reminders but handling the renewal automatically. So the real question would be to determine if having this functionality (paid membership->Paypal subscription) out of the box, worth the effort for each developer to code it. I'm also willing to share the code I came up so fare, to help you integrate it in the product.

• AdminPetr Vozak (Admin, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Guillermo for your idea. I have a workaround for you:
    Instead of selling 1-year membership which should be payed regularly, e.g. each month, you could sell 1-month membership plus use membership reminder to let the system notify customer before her membership expires. Then customer can buy another 1-month membership to prolong the validity of her membership before it expires. Please let me know if it works for you. Thanks

• Guillermo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be really great to have the kentico membership product integrated with the PayPal subscription recurring payment when the PayPal Payment method is selected. The custom development process to handle IPN for orders containing memberships is quite annoying and might break out of the box ecommerce order processing.

Feedback and Knowledge Base