If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Rewrite web parts and widgets with responsive design in mind

Many of the standard web parts that require width and height entries only accept fixed pixel entries (eg. image and text web parts, Google maps, etc.). It would be great if one could enter percentages as well.

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris Bass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've taken this into my own hands in most cases at this point - I have div-class (Bootstrap-compatible) row and column layout controls, and that sort of thing.
    I'd still much prefer to see these built-in - I wonder how many people actually would still use fixed-pixel web parts if CSS-compatible versions existed.

• Sean Shields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an extremely helpful and value-added change that would increase adoption and buy-in for Kentico's additional features (Forums, Groups, etc.). So many users access content via mobile devices now. I am working on a project now where users would like to utilize the community features of Kentico but they need it to look and behave like a modern site on a mobile device. I think this would add a lot of value to Kentico. Please consider adding it to a release soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? You need more votes??? How can you just not make this a priority in this day and age? There is no excuse to NOT be responsive by default.
    Just move everything to bootstrap (or some other framework) and stop trying to do it yourself b/c you obviously cant.

• Schaetzl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe how this "TOP MUST" condition to buy a new CMS in 2015 can have not more votes.

This is today an absolute must and should be a top priority. By doing this, it would be possible for template creation companies/vendors to sell Kentico-Templates which - when installed - would really style all of kentico. Currently they are unable to do this, because there is so much "legacy code" around (forums, messageboards...). To make this legacy functions responsive I have to modify "Core" Code which breaks me the update systems and so on... A mess!

If I buy a template for e.g. joomla and apply it, then EVERYTHING is styled in this way. (and responsive)

Feedback and Knowledge Base