If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Preview pages in CMSDesk as "not authenticated" or as a selected other role.

With permissions, security or web part settings some pages can look different to different users. When logged in as Administrator, If you want to view a page and see what it looks like to people that haven't logged in, you can't unless you log out. Logging out logs you out of CMSDesk too, so you have to log back in again to make an amend.

Also you can't easily confirm "edit", "delete", "add new" buttons are only showing to the right users because Global Administrator sees everything all the time.

I would like to have view options in the preview mode such as:

Preview as me
Preview as not authenticated
Preview as authenticated
Preview as [select a role]

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phil Martin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminDavid Komarek (Content Management Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Phil and also all supporters of this idea - as I understood your description, you would like to extend the current Preview mode, so there is for example a drop down, which enables you to specify that the preview should be changed according to Role, Authenticated and Not Authenticated options?

• Phil Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like version 6.0 CTP has an impersonate feature which is very similar to what I suggested. I hope that makes it into the final release!

• Phil Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Log in as this user" is a good feature, but you will no longer be logged in as yourself and may not even have permissions to view CMSDesk.

Previewing as another user or role is an easier way of checking what someone else will see, without having to log in again to make changes if something is wrong.

Feedback and Knowledge Base