If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Start API redesign with unit testing in mind

I am working on a Class Library project to support ASPX development. I need to be able to unit test the code I write. I also need to write integration tests that hit the database.

It seems impossible... I don't understand how you could have created 60 assemblies and manage to have dependencies all over the place, but you sure did.

Working with a database connection alone spans over 3 or 4 assemblies, with multiple hardcoded dependencies and 'providers' that are not providers (since you can't change them), and reinventions of classes that have been in the .NET BCL since 1.0 (no, you did not have to create your own Connection class).

And everywhere you go it seems that there is a hidden undocumented dependency on the HttpContext through CMSContext. Basically the majority of the Kentico API that you will typically use cannot run outside of a webserver.

I think your programmers have never even heard of unit testing before we started asking about it? (That would explain the many of the bugs I have reported so far.) It makes the whole API unfit for 3rd party development.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google