If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Importing of licence file

On the client portal we can upgrade and export all our licences to a text file. However, you don't provide a facility to import that text file in CMSSiteManager. Please add a button under Licences to import and replace existing licences with the new ones.

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joe Bushkill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Tom. We are upgrading from 8 to 10 and need staging and prod licenses created for v9 & v10... and delete v8 first. We have 35 websites. I'm dreading this, I can't imagine 350 websites.

• Sean Shields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second Nick Bushnell's idea. I am surprised nothing like this is implemented yet. For those of us running several sites, this is a significant pain point during upgrades. This idea was brought up 5 years ago? Can we see some consideration on it now?

• Nick Bushnell (BlueModus) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I think something like a merge would be better than a mass delete and re-add. I am saying this because it will take time to delete and then upload a new licence file. For a running system all the site will be down at that time because there are no licences in the system.

Perhaps:

Upload a new file and then display a list of 'new' and 'existing' licenses with check boxes (like the Staging log) which are found in the file. They are marked as 'new' if they are not in the current database and 'existing' if the domain matches a license in the database. Then the Administrator can check and uncheck which ones to import. 'new' licenses are simply added and the 'existing' licenses are replaced.

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

What would you say if:
    1. Mass delete action for the licenses will be implemented.
    2. Bulk import action will be implemented, however only for the empty license list to ensure there will be no collisions and the user will be certain what licenses were inserted (all of them, not an unknown subset due to conflicts).

Will this be a fine solution for you?

thank you

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm upgrading to a new version and I have 350 websites, I have to do this manually for each site: delete old licence, copy & paste new licence. So would like to delete all old ones at once, and import the complete licence file from the client portal with all the new ones in it.
    Alternatively, import the new ones, check if an old one exists, and replace. Leave old ones that don't have a new one in the file, intact.

• Nick Bushnell (BlueModus) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You cannot have two licenses for the same domain in the system at the same time. So, for example, you have to delete the K8 license for a domain before adding the K9 license for the domain. So, I would like to be able to upload a list of licenses and have them replace the ones in the system if the domain matches.

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for your patience.

There is a similar idea:
    http://ideas.kentico.com/forums/239189-kentico-product-ideas/suggestions/4504801-importing-of-licence-file

What do you think about a feature that will delete currently used licenses and add a new ones that you can export on the client portal? Is this sufficient or there is a need to merge currently used licenses with the new ones?

Thank you

Hi,

I am thinking about it and I have a few questions:

Do you delete all or some of the existing licenses before you are adding new one? I am wondering if there should be a feature to delete all currently used licenses and add brand new set exported from client portal, or there is a need to (somehow) merge existing licenses with the new ones.

Please, share your thoughts with me.

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Michal,

Yes, this is just a nuisance on a regular basis.
    We have to do this every time when generating dev licence, then updating to non expiring one.

But this is a much bigger problem when upgrading Kentico.
    We have a client with over a 100 sites, and we can't add new version licences without removing previous versions.

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. When adding approved licence, detect that this is an update and remove expired version automatically.

2. When upgrading the licence to the new version, do the same as above or allow both current and previous version of the licence key to be present.

Feedback and Knowledge Base