If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Rollback option for staging

Allow me to rollback of objects which were staged in a staging task

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Thank you for the replays. You are perfectly right, this is the place to discuss features and needs. I probably expressed myself badly. What i need to do is put the pieces together and find the optimal solution. Continuous integration was not build for editors, but it can be in the future version, it's a plausible solution. That's the reason i bring it up.

Anyway, how are you dealing with the rollbacks currently? Are you using a database backup or other tool?

What is the common scenario when your editor needs to perform a rollback? I am trying to figure out whether you need to rollback more "stage deployments" or just the currently performed one.

Thank you a lot

• Schaetzl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with Jerreck - we are talking here about a need for a feature for our editors - not for the Devs!
    So continous integration is not suitable for two reasons
    - not meant for production environment (but Editors need it here!)
    - not meant for endusers/editors.

Thanks!
    Bye
    Sven

• Jerreck McWilliams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this sounds like a plausible work-around for objects for the time being, it still requires extra configuration on the part of the CMS developers, instead of a feature that is baked-in to the CMS. I don't mean to be rude, but if we're not here to discuss features then what is the point of this site?

Also, the reason that I (and possibly others) voted for this feature was not just for object synchronization, but for document (now pages) synchronization. I have a completely separate team that manages content who never touch our code base and certainly never mess with version control. Am I to teach non-programmers to use our VCS?

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Kentico 9 has introduced a new functionality called Continuous Integration. Please see: https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9/Setting+up+continuous+integration

This functionality (in tandem with your favorite version control system) will allow you to rollback the changes into the certain point of time and much more.

I believe it's (will be) a right solution for your troubles. What do you think about it?

• Jerreck McWilliams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent idea. I have version control for our file system, but I just accidentally synchronized a bunch of documents with typos from our development server that were fixed on our staging server.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the functionality to rollback any set of changes pushed from one Kentico server to another through the Staging process. This would need to be managed on the target server.

• AdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see, so you need a way to restore a certain point of time in the history.

Then I have additional question, after you fix the problems, you would need to re-synchronize all the changes again.

This makes me think of two necessary changes that would allow this:

1) Archiving staging tasks, and being able to re-run them
    2) Integrate staging with the automatic database backup, or an option to rollback objects from their history to a certain point of time

One way or another, this seems quite complex to implement, so let's see how many votes it gets and we will prioritize accordingly

Thank you for your input!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Martin,

Yes, I know that. But you are not able to rollback all changes at once. Imagine, that you stage a bunch of changes and something stops working. In that case you want to do damage control at first. So you want to roll back all changes to get the site up and running. So it would be great to have the option on the target server to "roll back all staged changes".

I hope this makes sense,
    Andrew

Feedback and Knowledge Base