If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Migrate documents from one document type to another

It would be great to be able to migrate documents from one document type to another in CMS Desk (without using the SQL Import tool). This is especially useful when upgrading/overhauling/rearchitecting older Kentico websites.

326 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Per Sundling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Trevor Fayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ran into a situation that this would have rocked. A different Kentico developer sadly made 3 different page types for the same thing, only because one page had 2 navigation items instead of 4, or some other small presentation issue. I had to delete and recreate the entire lengthy form to get them back on 1 item.

• Suneel Jhangiani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should potentially be looked at in two seperate scenarios and hence I would like to see some ability to change page types during design which can be API only, although a basic UI would be better. In addition the ability for Store Administrators to change a products Page Type and being able to do so for all products under a Product Section.

• D. te Kloese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

its usually an 'issue' for batch changes after a redesign. Since it's a complicated action I'd say by default only a feature for Site admin would be needed

Auto mapping would do, but should be clear when issues would occur on not mappable fields BEFORE you start the conversion.

Feature will probably only be used after redesigns, but not always a big bang. So could be a daily update when content is being updated.

• Matt Kayan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't come up often for me (a developer), but when it does it would be a nice feature to have.

I've had situations where a client wanted to reorganize some content so that some documents showed up in different places (content lists, navigation, search indexes) - sometimes those requests can be addressed based on categories or specific paths, but sometimes it would be desirable to be able to change a document's document type.

If available, I'd expect to use this functionality once in a while. Usually, when a client has been building a large collection of content in a certain way, then decides to reorganize it.

• Alistair DeJonge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the situation where I needed it, it would be better if only a site admin had the ability. It was something needed during initial set-up/re-design.

• Trevor Fayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often the cases for changing/combining can be that an additional field or two is needed from a base kentico page type, and later we need to combine two custom ones into one, or if you have Events that you now need to be Booking Events.

A UI would be awesome, if not API is a good step in the right direction, there will probably need to be a Mapping list of Old Column to new Column, with possible macro transformation (if say you have a old column type of string you need to convert to a bool or something).

Full control of mapping field, with defaults if the column name/type are the same.

Probably be used only during redesign, and on a rare but still occurring basis throughout the site lifespan.

• Bryan Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me the most common scenario is a system that has several page types that are similar, but have just a few different fields. Sometimes it is necessary during minor site redesigns to shift content from one type to another. For this case, giving the Editors this ability in Pages would be ideal.

Auto-mapping would work fine for me. Just drop any missing fields and set additional fields to defaults.

This is not something that is done often. Just once in a while. But its a lot of work to move complex content without this feature.

• Patrick O'Mara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least have the ability to switch to a document type that is inheriting since it'd be compatible by default(sharing the columns).

• lesg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We integrate from external product so ability to migrate to another document type would give us a huge amount of possibility we currently do not have.

Feedback and Knowledge Base