If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Support for MySQL, Oracle and Others

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, let me add one more question to Michal's questions as more of you mention cost as the reason.

How do you consider MS SQL Express / LocalDB as possible options for such projects and how large projects have such cost efectiveness problems?

How do those options compare with the ones you would like in terms of scalability / licensing?

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I would be glad if we could revive this old but interesting idea. 129 votes is a big number. However, i would prefer a lot bigger discussion under topic like this.

Despite of the well known fact that this support would be super costly, it will bring a lot of extra maintenance. Therefore, if we should do it, we have to do it right.

Would you be so kind as to help me with some questions?

What top 2 SQL Server alternatives would you like to use with Kentico?
    Why these?

Regards,

Michal Kadak
    Platform Product Owner

• Marc Bourgeois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! SQL Server alternatives. Our biggest concern with the operation of Kentico solutions are the incredible MS SQL license fees - which are per single core as of now. A powerful server easily brings more than 30'000 Euros of license fees. MS SQL Server fees are acceptable, if you use a mass hoster, but completely inaccebtable, if you operate one or only a couple of customer specific solutions on a server. In this case, we often pay more for SQL Server licenses than for Kentico licenses, which is crazy.

• AdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we never had any request for RavenDB until now, I suggest you create a separate request for it so we can see how many votes it gets. For now, the majority of the requests focuses on Oracle for enterprises. People using MySQL usually tend to use open source or free products in general, so it is probably not really something that clients would pay us for (but we may reconsider that based on feedback). But the goal is to provide flexible interface for DB operations, so you will be able to create custom providers for other databases as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base