If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Allow Javascript Files from the CMSSiteManager -> Development -> Javascript Files to be Content Staged

Right now there are no staging tasks logged when you edit a Javascript file in CMSSiteManager in Kentico 7. It would sure be nice to content stage these files just like the rest of the objects in CMSSiteManager.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brian McKeiver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Trevor Fayas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with this, it would rock for the Javascript to be Versioned as well, just like CSS.

• Bizo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Javascript file versioning and content staging will be fantastic.
    When we put online a new release of our site we forgot the JS files.
    And there is no history of modifications and last user.

• Jason Sherrill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree that this is a sorely lacking feature of the staging module right now. In every situation that we've used staging, the necessity to manually handle JS library file syncing between staging and prod results in extra support requests & subsequent troubleshooting because content admins forget that these changes aren't included in the normal sync process. The Kentico staging module is pretty good, but this missing component is standing in the way of it being awesome.

• Duane Lecky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo what Phil Tune wrote and add that specificity should be included. I want to be able to stage some of the items in the JavaScript library and not have to do the entire library every time.

At this time, I do not see a need to include other file system locations.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there - has this functionality been pulled into Kentico 8? We too think it's necessary for properly managing our JavaScript files.

• Phil Tune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes a lot of sense to stage Javascripts. Why wouldn't you? How else do you recommend promoting changes other than copy/pasting from one environment to the other? There are a lot of issues with content control processes if done that way. What we're forced to do right now (other than the copy/paste option) is to save javascripts as a file on the site content tree... then you don't get the benefits of having a Javascript LIBRARY in the first place.

I can only imagine anyone who uses Javascript libraries would want this functionality to stage them.

• AdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like that, we just need to see how much is this wanted to make sure we prioritize accordingly. Are there other file system locations that you see as important for staging? Or does it make sense to allow admin to define the list of folders to synchronize?

Feedback and Knowledge Base