If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Customization of Widget / Inline Editor asset bundling

Mvc widgets are great because they give both developers and content managers flexibility in features, design, and content.

I envision developers creating Widget libraries to enable re-use of common widget patterns across sites or sharing them with the community.

Currently the bundling process for widgets when the Mvc site is in edit-mode when configuring widgets in the CMS is very restrictive.

I have to copy javascript/css that I copy from Github into files in my Mvc project and then commit them. This goes against the best practices of not committing build artifacts to source control.

The javascript community has already developed a solution for dependency management (npm), there are simple cdn solutions (unpkg), and .NET has libman (https://www.stevejgordon.co.uk/library-manager-libman-visual-studio-2017) for managing client-side assets.

Any one of these solutions would be better than the copy/paste versioning and non-existing dependency management for css/javascript required for widgets currently.

It would be great if we could define our own bundles for our widgets or inline editors and organize our files in a way that was best for our projects.

For simple use cases the current implementation of widgets works fine, but it won't scale for larger sets of widgets or more complex implementations that require more than a single jquery plugin.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sean Wright shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon