If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Enhanced smartsearch filter, with resultcount per filter

The facetted search should be extended with an option to show the number of results per filter item. (ListControls)

When one of the filter items is clicked, these numbers should change, and if the number of results would be zero, the listitem (eg. checkbox) should be disabled.

Items which return no results at all (at !IsPostback), should be removed at all.

For instance:
Category
[ ] Financial (1)
[ ] Marketing (3)
[ ] Web (1)

Document type
[ ] Download (2)
[ ] News (3)
[ ] Product (4)

When filter changes:

Category
[x] Financial (1)
[ ] Marketing (0)
[ ] Web (0)

Document type
[ ] Download (0)
[ ] News (1)
[ ] Product (2)

Needed settings for the webpart:
- HideControlWhenEmpty (no filters at all)
- HideFilterWhenZero (hide if zero on !IsPostback)
- ShowPlusWhenLargerThen (Show max item with + sign, when larger then setting, for instance (50+))

The index/search settings should be derived from the searchcontrol

158 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Roel de Bruijn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen Hamilton commented  · 

Hi Michal,
        Excuse my ignorance, but does using Azure Search require our site to be hosted on Azure?

Stephen

• Michael Weber commented  · 

Faceted search can be done with the Smart Search feature and Categories with a bit of fuss. See, e.g., https://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-solutions

Basically, you need to read the facets and build out the query programmatically. Or you could probably just do a more direct Lucene query with facets.

• Mike Wills commented  · 

Surprised Kentico doesn't have faceted search. I assumed Smart Search Filters provided this functionality until looking into the details. This was even available as a community solution for SharePoint 2007. It worked very well, and was very customizable. I implemented it a pretty high-profile site. It could be referenced for the type of options and configurations that would make a universal solution effective. https://facetedsearch.codeplex.com/

• Dennis commented  · 

A huge & important feature for severel customers. It would be a huge win for Kentico if it was implemented

• Stephen Hamilton commented  · 

Michal: I am not a developer, and I can only speak for myself and my company, but I can't help but feel that better documentation around important functions such as this can only be a good thing for all developers, including those I partner with.

If this delivers the results, that is great. But if not, naturally we will be looking to Kentico for a better solution.

• Hi,

Create a single universal solution for faceted search is quite a challenge. However I know it's somewhat essential.

What I was thinking is a well documented best practice how to use Smart search or SQL search to achieve faceted search functionality. Explaining pros and cons of each approach.

What do you think about it? Will that be sufficient and more importantly helpful?

Regards,

Michal Kadak
        Platform Product Owner

• AdminDominik Pinter (Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  · 

Hi Roel,
        there is no exact number beyond which we automatically implement certain feature. But, this feature is relevant obviously to many different companies so next time when we do search improvements we will probably include this improvement as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base