If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Make the web farm licensing more flexible for multi-tenant MVC sites

Say we have a customer that has a 10-site EMS license.
We're building MVC sites so we want the CMS in one web application and public-facing MVC site in another web application.
To separate concerns between the sites as much as possible we'd like to have a single MVC web application for each site in the CMS.
In the end though, there is only 1 physical servers involved (or Azure App Service plan) that hosts 11 web applications (CMS + 10 MVC applications).

There is 1 additional web farm server license available for free when working with MVC so right now, this requires the customer to buy a web farm node license for every site beyond the first one.
So to fill the 10-site license the customer needs to buy an additional 9 web farm nodes. At current list prices this would cost an additional 100.000 euros.

As you can imagine, this is hard to explain to customers.

Can you please reconsider the web farm licensing model to make the above architecure possible without huge additional costs?

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marnix van Valen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminMarek Fesar (Platform Technical Leader, Kentico) commented  · 

Hi,

There is one additional web farm service license for free for each MVC site. If you were to run 10 MVC sites (effectively CMS + 10 MVC applications), all the MVC frontends would be for free.

We've adjusted the algorithm in version 11, so that those free MVC frontend servers are correctly counted.

The documentation Michal mentions in his post ( https://docs.kentico.com/k11/developing-websites/developing-sites-using-asp-net-mvc/kentico-licensing-for-mvc-applications ) has been rephrased. We hope it is now easier to understand.

Kind regards

Marek Fesar
        Technical Leader

• Marnix van Valen commented  · 

Hi Michal,

The document you are linking to does not address the question I'm asking. I understand that when I have two nodes running a single site behind a load balancer I need to expand the webfarm.

What is unclear is what happens when I have a a multi-site setup with MVC where each MVC site is a different IIS site or Azure Web App.

Feedback and Knowledge Base