If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Ability to seperate email based on type to different SMTP servers

Sending all mail generated from Kentico through the same (set of) SMTP server(s) is a bad idea. Why? If marketing emails result in service being throttled by the SMTP service (it happens), it also slows down delivery of transactional email.

Perhaps this could be set up to send to different sub-domains e.g. mktg.example.com & store.example.com.

Or email templates have a tag that is used for determining which service they get forward to.

Either way, this can help to seperate not only issues when they arise, but also reporting etc.

If Kentico is serious about email marketing, I think this is an obvious choice.

I am aware this has been asked, and rejected, previously, but this is a really good and necessary feature. (see: http://ideas.kentico.com/forums/239189-kentico-product-ideas/suggestions/15955960-allow-ecommerce-and-marketing-to-run-off-seperate)

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen Hamilton shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brenden Kehren commented  · 

Another option/idea is to select a SMTP provider per email campaign vs. template.

• Stephen Hamilton commented  · 

Good idea, Brenden - I hadn't even thought about multi-tenancy installations! :)

• Brenden Kehren commented  · 

Great idea Stephen. Like the idea of having it defined by email template but would also need to add a site identifier as well if someone has a multi-tenancy install.

Feedback and Knowledge Base