If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Provide better tag managment

Given how tags are an important part of content strategy these days, Kentico CMS needs a better way to centrally manage tags so they can be easily updated, deleted, and added to documents, images, and files. The system does list all the tags and provides a way to see all the documents with a given tag, but there is no edit capability.

The API does provide a way to manage the tags, but a nice UI is needed for administrators.

86 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kevin Coleman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Waters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also am looking for a way to manage tags. It would be nice if you could add or edit tags in the tag group. We do not want our loaders to be able to manually enter tags but just want them to select from the list in the tag group. My work around for this was to create a tag folder in the CMS tree and then create a blank document named the tag group name. Then add all the tags into the meta data for that tag group. The only problem is users can still enter their own tags and we also can not edit the name of a tag. Most other CMS systems we have used allow tags to be managed and edited through something like the tag group configuration.

• Sergi Gisbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recently a client requested us for:

- Rename existing tags or delete old ones
    - How can I add new tags without having to add them manually to a blog post first

We opened a Ticket:0087000957 about this, and were surprised to hear this is simple not possible. So, yes, please, may you implement this? It looks like quite a general requirement.

Thanks,
    Sergi

• Stephen Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Radek.
    I don't advocate for Kentico to rely on any particular tool - in fact, improving the core Kentico experience is a good thing. But integration with other useful services is also valuable.

However I'm not sure if the request Kevin Coleman made back in March of 2012 here is even similar to the request I made for integration with Google Tag Manager (hence why I asked if it was similar). It is a valid question because the term tag management means different things in different contexts (the irony is actually quite funny).

I suspect what Kevin may have been asking for is closer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_management - "Tag management is the ability to manage user-generated tags or folksonomy within a collaborative software." It is largely about using "tags" as a means classifying and defining documents/content.

Tag Management, when used in the context of tools such as Google Tag Manager, or Adobe's Dynamic Tag Management, is a bit different. It is more about managing "tags" of code that enable third party tracking, analysis and reporting (see this explanation to understand it a bit more: http://moz.com/blog/what-is-tag-management ).

So for the purpose of understanding each other, *what is the actual problem this request is trying to solve?*

If it is the former, I'm totally with you -= Kentico should do a better job of this sort of tag management.

If it is the latter, I would politely suggest this is way outside of the scope of what Kentico does, and integration with Google Tag Manager is an excellent place to start. It also solves a bunch of other issues, but you can read about that on the other thread. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base