If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Compare servers

It would be good to be able to compare 2 CMS environments to highlight the differences between development and configuration differences stored in Kentico CMS.

Specifically to compare: Page Templates, Layouts, Custom and System tables, Email templates etc.

188 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Oleg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there,
    Any updates on this most requested feature?
    This was actually requested now by the client, will probably be a pretty much required feature for any government jobs.

Perhaps a quick way to achieve this is to provide a configuration report so that it can be run on both servers, downloaded as CSV and compared using third party tools. The report should list all configuration options and their values and also provide all configuration objects e.g. templates, object definitions etc in single download file.
    Perhaps this would simplify the implementation?

• Oleg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Martin,

I like the separate configuration / content databases idea suggested by Ian.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe an alternative to this is that you split out the configuration/development database from the content database, so essentially you can replace your live configuration database with changes to remove the problem - Planning on discussing this some more with Dominik.

• AdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we are making our API more flexible, I can see this being doable with our API more than I did before. Changing status to planned, but not a high priority for now as potential cost of implementation is still high.

Keep voting if you really want this one and if it saves you time ...

Feedback and Knowledge Base