If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Visual e-mail builder for marketers to replace current e-mail template editing experience

Make a visual drag and drop editor for e-mail templates that could be used for static issues, dynamic issues, marketing automation communications, and on-line form auto-responders (basically all points of e-mail in EMS). The key to this would be to now to have to have content admins and marketers know macros to build e-mail templates.

It seems like the parts of the on-line form builder or widgets could be re-used to create this solution.

I firmly believe that this is needed for EMS to complete with other marketing automation platforms.

I know this has been looked at before and declined, but I really believe it should make it in K11.

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian McKeiverBrian McKeiver shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Kile LindgrenKile Lindgren shared a merged idea: Widget style email builder  ·   · 

Hello!

We are currently validating various ways how to implement Email builder in Kentico.

If, as a supporter of this idea, you would like to participate and talk to us regarding needs of an Email Marketer as well as about various template and widget related topics, please start by telling us what you think of: https://goo.gl/forms/oZ4zQItbm1yuI9Kd2

Thanks,

David Komarek
    Product Owner

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Martin HejtmanekAdminMartin Hejtmanek (Chief Technical Officer, Kentico) commented  · 

As you mentioned repeaters, would you expect the marketer to pick from a item transformation prepared by developer, or that they would need to be able to define how particular item would look like by themselves?

• Brenden KehrenBrenden Kehren commented  · 

I agree with Dennis, being able to maybe pick some repeated content in the content tree BUT NOT MAKE IT A DYNAMIC issue, would simply blow some of the marketers minds, especially if they can define how it looks when it gets output.

• DennisDennis commented  · 

This would be a huge advantage for Kentico! At the moment customers need 2 or 3 or more platforms to do their marketing. If this was integrated into Kentico, it would be a major selling point.
        I agree with Brenden, drag and drop something like a repeater which gets all the latest articles/products, ... that would blow some marketeer minds.
        The HTML markup should be valid for all email clients / platforms.
        So this gets my 3 votes !

• Brian McKeiverBrian McKeiver commented  · 

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. I agree with BK's comments. Dynamic issues are not what we are going for. What we are going for is marketing emails like maybe a New User Registration Welcome campaign. We would want to be able to nurture a new user to complete their profile. It doesn't have anything to do with building a page on the website first. Ideally a marketer could design that content by dragging and dropping a First Name field then WYSIWG field onto the email content area. BK is perfectly correct, we don't want the rest of the site's structure in that email, we only want the optimized email content.

• Brenden KehrenBrenden Kehren commented  · 

Dynamic issues work but they are limited in nature. Clients want a drag and drop scenario where they can simply build an email quickly without needing to go through the setup of the dynamic issue and a page template. They don't want to involve a designer or a developer, they want to be able to take a mockup already created for them and drag and drop blocks of content in an email with email-client friendly HTML written for them. A WYSIWYG editor just isn't enough for most folks.

IMHO, I believe the most important piece for an issue is the email markup being compatible across multiple email clients. Building a dynamic issue means you are using the html the rest of the site is using OR have to create a template which doesn't inherit anything which means you're still doing a lot of custom work. Using the rest of the HTML from a site doesn't always mean it is compatible across all email clients, especially when talking about a responsive email. Many email clients still don't respond well to tableless layouts.

• Adam GriffithAdam Griffith commented  · 

Totally agree with you Brian that this is essential for the EMS to compete with other platforms. 3 votes from me!

• Kile LindgrenKile Lindgren commented  · 

It would be nice in emails instead of only being able to define essentially editable textareas that can be edited, that we can define widget zones as well to allow us to build more complex emails.

Feedback and Knowledge Base