If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

Truly clean minimum install

It would be awesome to have the ability to install a minimum install WITHOUT the media libraries, templates, page types, etc. that are in the installer for the starter sites. These files, etc. should only be included if you select the starter site that needs them.

56 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Christopher Jennings shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brenden Kehren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We install all the modules in every site. This allows us to upsell the other features with a simple license addition and no other deployment. As mentioned in a previous comment, removing the base sample site files is very helpful and useful which I has been done in v11.

• Sean Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new Visual Studio installer for 2017 is really nice. The way it provides the idea of Products -> Workloads -> Individual Components is a good separation of granularity.

If Kentico could offer an install that allowed for a high level selection of Workloads I think that would be a great first step.

Imagine I'm going to be building Content only site with no public facing login/registration and no ecommerce. All I want is portal engine, simple webparts (no MyAccount stuff) for adding content in the portal (Repeaters, Static Text / Images / HTML, HTML Head).
    If I could select that and everything else would be removed that would be awesome.

Now imagine I'm building an Ecommerce site and I don't want the Forums module but I do want all the Shopping Cart / My Account / Payment Gateway web parts. I would like to have a checkbox so I can install all features and code related to that workload.

• Mohamed Rashed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know If it can be done or not, but it's very annoying to see some modules that I'll never use in my project like community modules and e-commerce modules, and not able to remove related files and Db objects, I hope to make Kentico real modular platform containing [Install/UnInstall] for unwanted modules, or any Kentico Object.

also one of things prevent me to clean the installation like Brenden Kehren mentioned, when installing hotfix It all unwanted files again to my project, Finally I ended with creating batch file cleaning my project after hotfix run.

as a suggestion check how wordpress install / uninstall plugins and Updates from the internet directly, it's very clean process

• Christopher Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't mention web parts. My thought on that is that I'd like to continue to see Kentico clean up old/rarely used web parts and make any that are still relevant available, maybe even open source. Any web parts that are specific to a module should only be added if the module is added and any that are specific to a starter site should live with that starter site.

• Christopher Jennings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, I only use the starter sites very rarely, and even then usually only the dancing goat site for bug reproduction or some simple testing.

As for what should be in a clean minimum install:
    - No starter site files at all (if you select a blank site)
    - Page types should be the minimum of what is necessary to support included web parts
    - Only required system templates
    - No layouts
    - No containers
    - No stylesheets
    - No API examples (see the docs, add any that are missing)
    - No sample custom table
    - Only the email templates for installed modules
    - No javascript in the Javascript files application
    - Only the same blank site templates

The core idea is this: make the sample sites completely independent of the install. They can be presented in the Windows installer or as separate downloadable web templates. Kentico's file system and database should not have any traces of the sample starter sites unless you choose to install it. Also, getting rid of a lot of unnecessary cruft in the templates/page types will increase usability as users won't have to sift/search through a bunch of things they don't need.

• Chris Bass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate Kentico having all of its webparts and form controls available, and would probably re-add all of them to any given site (though, I'd also add the default page types, in order to have access to things like the Page doctype, Events, blogs, news, etc) - I don't mind the email templates because if I don't want them it's easy to delete them completely. It's less simple to delete the sample sites, since it drops folders in various places in the filesystem that don't seem to delete when you delete the sample sites from Kentico.

• AdminMichal Kadák (E-commerce and Platform Product Owner, Kentico) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello

We plan to find a better way how to distribute sample data in the next version. sample sites, web part containers and other sample related objects are the first step.

However, what do you think about the amount of Webparts, form controls or email templates in the clean installation of Kentico?

Regards,

Michal Kadak
    Platform Product Owner

• Rick Dailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Martin,

A truly clean minimum install should include no sample sites, just the template for Blank Site / Blank Site (ASPX). I've had corporate clients who believe Kentico is amateur software because it includes files called "Dancing Goat" and the like. Similarly, we don't need the other Sample Sites or Site Templates (Intranet, Corporate, Personal etc.) Also, I'd expect none of the related files for these that are in App_Themes.

There are also things like the "Orange" web part container that need not be included.

Also, the "Sample" code like APIExamples and the NewController and associated views are unnecessary for experienced developers - if we need them we can refer to them separately.

Ideally, the various modules would also be "opt-in", as in Chat, Badges, BadWords, Avatars, etc. which could be added after-the-fact if building a social experience and not just a pure content site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base