Kentico Product Ideas

Welcome to the community site for sharing and discussing your ideas for Kentico, the integrated marketing solution.

Help us better understand your needs so that we can deliver a product you love. It’s easy!
Simply share your ideas, comment on the ideas of others and vote for those you want to see happen in Kentico.

If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MVC + Portal Model (Widgets)

I would have like to start using MVC with Kentico since the company I work for prefers MVC pattern over Web Forms. However after talking to Kentico support we found out you can not use the portal model with MVC.

Is this functionaility planned for any feature release or part of Kentico 8?

148 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Hello!

We are currently trying to come up with the best model for enabling Content editors and Marketers to compose parts of pages using widgets also on MVC websites.

What do you think about the following:

1. The most important part is to enable business users (Content editors, Marketers) to add and configure components (widgets) in within specific areas (zones) on a page

2. MVC developers know how to create layoyuts/templates and can do that on their onw, only need to be able to mark part of the layout as a widget area/zone

3. MVC developers know how to implement reusable components. If there is a unified way to register such components with Kentico to be used in widget areas, there is no need to develop hundreds of out-of-the-box widgets.

4. The biggest wish for Content editors and Marketersis to be able to influence a section of a specific page,…

• Allow for non global admins to access CSS Stylesheets

We have situations where we need to allow designers to be able to update the css. However, we do not want to give the global administrator access. I recommend that Kentico allow for more granular permissions on the CSS Stylesheets module.

49 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
      • Ability to modify page head section and html tag

Add ability to modify page head section and html tag from UI without need to modify PortalTemplate.aspx file.

109 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello supporters!

We are currently exploring this idea and looking for the best solution.

To better understand all the related needs, I would like to ask you a few things:

1. Can you list the most typical changes you need to make to the page template and its head section?

2. Is it ok for you just to be able to modify the Master page or do you need to be able to somehow modify also common pages and their head sections – via their templates?

3. Do you prefer to be able to see and modify some markup directly or do think specific web parts with properties that are then injected into the markup are a better solution?

4. Who and how often is going to do these changes? The developer suring development phase or a content editor during content authoring process?

5. If we only talk about being…

• Migrate documents from one document type to another

It would be great to be able to migrate documents from one document type to another in CMS Desk (without using the SQL Import tool). This is especially useful when upgrading/overhauling/rearchitecting older Kentico websites.

276 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, this idea is currently being explored an dwe are looking for the best solution.
            I would like to hear your suggestions regarding this functionality to make this as smooth as possible, please add your comments below the idea:

What is the most common scenario?
            - Store administrator who needs to change page type of a product
            - Site administrator during site redesign
            - something completely different

Do you see an urgent need for having this integrated directly into UI:
            - for editors – somewhere in Pages
            - for store admins – somewhere in Ecommerce apps
            - just for global administrator, so that he understands all possible issues that may arise related to system setup, workflow, …
            - no ui, just API

Do you want some kind of auto-mapping of fields or complete control of the mapping?
            - full control, no logic based on same names
            - auto-mapping would do

• Visual e-mail builder for marketers to replace current e-mail template editing experience

Make a visual drag and drop editor for e-mail templates that could be used for static issues, dynamic issues, marketing automation communications, and on-line form auto-responders (basically all points of e-mail in EMS). The key to this would be to now to have to have content admins and marketers know macros to build e-mail templates.

It seems like the parts of the on-line form builder or widgets could be re-used to create this solution.

I firmly believe that this is needed for EMS to complete with other marketing automation platforms.

I know this has been looked at before and declined,…

91 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add role permission to access Email Queue

At the moment is not possible to access the Email Queue unless you have administrator privileges. It would be great to grant access to the Email Queue app for previewing email status to roles different to the Global Administrator.

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                17 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →

Hello,

We are currently elaborating on this idea. The current plan how to solve this is to implement a read and modify permission for email queue. However, the email queue will also contain sensitive emails such as password reset with a reset link.

Is the idea with a restricted view of email body sufficient? It means that view email body action will be allowed only to the Global Administrator.

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Regards,

Michal Kadak
                Platform Product Owner

• Add Privilege level that will allow access to Global applications based on roles

There is a need to allow users access to global applications for editing and maintenance of a sites but allowing them the unrestricted access that the Global Administrator privilege offers is a risk. There is a need to have a privilege level that allowed access to global applications based on roles and permissions. As a custom solution provider we run across this need on every project.

120 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  11 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
                • Enhanced smartsearch filter, with resultcount per filter

The facetted search should be extended with an option to show the number of results per filter item. (ListControls)

When one of the filter items is clicked, these numbers should change, and if the number of results would be zero, the listitem (eg. checkbox) should be disabled.

Items which return no results at all (at !IsPostback), should be removed at all.

For instance:
                  Category
                  [ ] Financial (1)
                  [ ] Marketing (3)
                  [ ] Web (1)

Document type
                  [ ] Download (2)
                  [ ] News (3)
                  [ ] Product (4)

When filter changes:

Category
                  [x] Financial (1)
                  [ ] Marketing…

169 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    12 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →

Hi all, we are currently working on this one. I will keep you updated via this comment feed. The first approach is to integrate with Azure search and leverage its faceted search abilities.

• Get files url with native extensions (image.jpg and not image.aspx)

We need to be able to get the files url with native extensions example ****/image.jpg and not .aspx.
                    we need this to be used with third party sites, for example we are not able to share an image using Facebook as it sees it as a webpage and not an image, so it doesn't generate preview for it.
                    In the other hand we are facing the same issue with a 3rd party pdf viewer that we are using.

So allowing the developer to access the url with the native extension will be a great help.

thank you

103 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello to all supporters!

We are currently looking for a way how to move forward with this idea.

Currently, Kentico should generate correct extensions (.jpg, .png, …) when you turn on extensionless URLs and use the runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests.

https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9/Extensionless+and+custom+URLs

1. Did you run into scenarios, where this setup did not work for you? Could you help us by providing examples?

2. Is setting the runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests web.config key fine for your solutions? If not, can you share some comments?

Thanks a lot in advance!

David Komarek
                      Product Owner

• plain text email for email marketing templates and issues

Regular email templates support plain text alternatives (multi-part mime types); however email marketing templates and issues do not. This is an essential feature of any email marketing system because it significantly enhances the non-spam signature of a message; our clients expect this to be available.

47 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

we would like to introduce support for plain text in marketing emails together with Email builder.

How do you guys usually compose the plain-text version?

Do you use some tools to strip tags from already composed HTML email or do you write the plain text version from scratch?

Are there any capabilities or features you expect from plain-text emails?

How do you see the need for Watch-HTML support in 2017?

Kind regards,

David Komarek
                        Product Owner

• Multi-factor authentication with TOTP/Google Authenticator

Kentico should change its multi-factor-authentication to use industry-standard methods rather than its current custom implementation.

Kentico currently offers multi-factor authentication using the Kentico Authenticator Android application. This is a non-standard tool, and is entirely useless for people without an Android device. As a result, multi-factor authentication cannot be broadly deployed and is all-but-useless in a real-world environment.

Kentico should instead use the industry-standard TOTP method. TOTP is based on an IETF standard, and has been implemented by Microsoft, Google, DropBox, GitHub, Yahoo, and hundreds of other organizations. It supports key generation across all platforms and using hardware-based devices, including Google…

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
                        • Add support for Canonical Link Element

In addition to "Redirect document aliases to main URL," (formerly a web.config appSettings directive), I'd like to see an option for "Use Canonical Link Element."

With that option, the URL alias would be honored and persist in the address bar, but an indication of the actual URL would be made as a canonical link element in the <head>:

<link rel="canonical" href=" http://www.example.com/Actual-Url "/>

More information:
                          http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=139394

58 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We are currently exploring the possibility to cover this idea. There are few questions related to Canonical links I’d like to ask:

Do you prefer this feature to automatically cover most used scenarios (such as redirections) or do you prefer manual control of Canonical links?

Automatically:

If automatically, what would be the top required scenarios for your projects?

Is the primary concern the variant of the URL (like http vs https, trailing slash vs non-trailing slash?

How do you want to specify the format of the canonical link globally?

Manually:

If manually, then do you consider the Content editor to specify the canonical link using a selector or URL manually?

Is the primary concern a page alias created for a page?

Both:

Is it ok just to handle links within a single site or there is also a need for links to external sites?

Is the scenario covered by…

• Select which culture of a document to sync

On multi-cultural sites, almost all of the time you only want to stage / sync one culture version of a document to the live site.

Currently this is not possible, and all culture versions of the document are staged across.

I would like to see either:

a) each culture change shown as a separate staging item in the queue
                            b) ability to define which cultures to stage when performing a sync
                            c) or both?

Open to suggestions on implementation.

157 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We are currently exploring this idea and we would like to hear your comments on the following technical proposal:

When a staging task for a page is logged, culture code of the culture version will be loggged as a separate database field. This information will be used to filter the staging tasks for a specific culture version. There will be a dropdown list filter availbale in the Staging application on Pages tab as well as a column in the listing to identify the culture.

This way administrator can synchronize only pages in selected culture. Please note that dependencies such as missing parent node for a selected culture version will be handled the very same way as any other dependencies – system ends with an error complaining about missing dependency. You need to make sure that all dependent objects are synchronized in correct order.

Thanks for your comments!

David Komarek…

• Apply Newsletter CSS Inline

For email newsletter to work correctly on the widest variety of email clients, CSS must be inlined.

This is a widely known issue, but Kentico CMS does not appear to handle this requirement.

Please see...

http://premailer.dialect.ca/
                              http://beaker.mailchimp.com/inline-css
                              http://css-tricks.com/using-css-in-html-emails-the-real-story/
                              ...for more information.

When creating newsletters in Kentico, there needs to be a checkbox option to ‘Inline CSS’. Without this, the newsletter function is not usable unless the sender of the newsletter is in control of all mail clients that will be used to view the newsletter. This might be the case with a corporation, but is not practical when sending newsletters…

37 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We are currently evaluating how to provide CSS inlining for the Email builder. If you have first-hand experience with some libraries or services, which you would like to recommend, we’ll be glad to hear that!

Also, if there are any issues you ever encountered with CSS inlining, which you are worried could be introduced, leave us a comment below!

Thanks

David Komarek
                                Product Owner

• Add area at the bottom of Master page

Hello

On a Master page (portal site) we would like to add some JS to the bottom on different pages. It would be really useful to have a field/area/zone that could be used. So that we could put anything we want and this area would put what we wanted just before the closing HTML Body tag.

Thanks

Ilesh Mistry

55 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add time zone support to all EMS modules, forms, reports and tables

Online marketing is performed by different users in different time zones. Each of these needs to be sure what date/time they are scheduling emails for or reviewing activities from. The Online Marketing modules must translate server times into their chosen time zones, and into the site time zone by default.

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)