Kentico Product Ideas

Welcome to the community site for sharing and discussing your ideas for Kentico, the integrated marketing solution.

Help us better understand your needs so that we can deliver a product you love. It’s easy!
Simply share your ideas, comment on the ideas of others and vote for those you want to see happen in Kentico.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. improved picture management

upload in original size with full metadata. store select metadata in db for display + search. automatically move orginal sized image to special storage share. resize picture to two prediefined sizes (e.g. hd 1920x1080 + vga 640x480) in set quality (e.g. 70%), remove metadata, add selected metadata (e.g. copyright) and store resized pictures in db. use the appropriate one depending on picture and/or browser window size whenever the picture is used on the website. allow tagging and management of thousands of pictures.

397 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    30 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I am glad to announce that improved support for Responsive images management is part of Kentico 10!

You can get Kentico 10 from http://www.kentico.com/download-demo

Our Dancing Goat demo site includes sample usage of variants and filters its Articles section.

You can find the full documentation for Responsive images management at: https://docs.kentico.com/k10/developing-websites/managing-responsive-images

David Komarek
    Product Owner

2. Add support for HTML5 input types

Please add support for html5 input types such as:

type=datetime, email, number, tel, url, etc

Currently, the kentico textboxes only support single-line, multi-line and password. Trying to create form controls that utilize any of the other textmode types (such as phone, email, number, datetime, url etc, etc) does not work.

This will improve UX, particularly when filling out forms on mobile platforms, and is requested more and more often.

288 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a setting to disable preview mode globally

Currently, when you're logged in as an admin and visit your Kentico site (just as a non-authenticated user would), you are shown by default Preview Mode, which shows unpublished items as if they were published. There are a number of ways to get out of this mode and see the site as a typical user would (go into CMS Desk and click "Live Site", click "close" on the grey bar on top of the screen, edit your cookies, etc). But none of these are permanent or able to be set up for an installation globally.
    I propose adding a new…

261 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello to all supporters!

I am glad to let you know that the following setting has been added:

Allow preview mode on the live site
    (https://docs.kentico.com/display/K10/Settings+-+Content+management)

Simply unchecking it for a website or globally on your development instance will let you bypass the preview mode.

On production environments, you can still keep it checked for your editors.

Thanks for all the comments and votes,

David Komarek
    Product Owner

4. As an admin, let me see a users recent history

We have to fix users mistakes, i'd like to see the last (as many as needed) steps they did.

199 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add .svg files to app_themes folder

Allow upload of .svg file to the app_themes folder. This will be very practical with the push toward mobile and use of .svg icons/images related to the CSS all in one folder.

196 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Copy Document Type

Sometimes a document is CLOSE to what I want but not exactly what I need. I don't want to modify the existing document type or muddy the waters by adding irrelevant transformations and fields so I have to create a brand new document resembling the old one.

It would ne nice to copy the document and then be able to change whatever I need to at that point.

193 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Released  ·  Jaroslav Kordula responded

From version 7 you can clone most of the CMS objects. You can also inherit the document types.

7. Compare servers

It would be good to be able to compare 2 CMS environments to highlight the differences between development and configuration differences stored in Kentico CMS.

Specifically to compare: Page Templates, Layouts, Custom and System tables, Email templates etc.

188 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiple viewengines

Allow multiple viewengines (like ASP.MVC) so it is possible to create pages for mobile browsers (iPhone etc).

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Translation Tagging / Reporting

It would be good if:
    1) Pages could be marked "Please translate into [Language]". This would be handy in cases where only a subset of content is relevent for another language.

2) Need a report which lists ALL content for translation or which has changed in the origianl language (not just an overview of one level of nodes).

175 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. MVC + Portal Model (Widgets)

I would have like to start using MVC with Kentico since the company I work for prefers MVC pattern over Web Forms. However after talking to Kentico support we found out you can not use the portal model with MVC.

Is this functionaility planned for any feature release or part of Kentico 8?

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enhanced smartsearch filter, with resultcount per filter

The facetted search should be extended with an option to show the number of results per filter item. (ListControls)

When one of the filter items is clicked, these numbers should change, and if the number of results would be zero, the listitem (eg. checkbox) should be disabled.

Items which return no results at all (at !IsPostback), should be removed at all.

For instance:
    Category
    [ ] Financial (1)
    [ ] Marketing (3)
    [ ] Web (1)

Document type
    [ ] Download (2)
    [ ] News (3)
    [ ] Product (4)

When filter changes:

Category
    [x] Financial (1)
    [ ] Marketing…

158 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Released  ·  15 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Start API redesign with unit testing in mind

I am working on a Class Library project to support ASPX development. I need to be able to unit test the code I write. I also need to write integration tests that hit the database.

It seems impossible... I don't understand how you could have created 60 assemblies and manage to have dependencies all over the place, but you sure did.

Working with a database connection alone spans over 3 or 4 assemblies, with multiple hardcoded dependencies and 'providers' that are not providers (since you can't change them), and reinventions of classes that have been in the .NET BCL since…

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Released  ·  Dominik Pinter responded

Kentico 8 introduced a big change in this area so I’m closing this idea as completed. Please see more information in the comments.

13. More control over culture specific URLs

We should be able to define site-wide culture specific URLs, like /en/xxx or /fr/xxx. These settings must then be automatically inherited on all child elements.

At the moment you can automatically create culture specific URL path, but these are not very nice and are not inherited.

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Limit Widgets allowed in Widget Zone

Very simple, would be great to be allowed to limit what types of widgets are allowed in Widget zones. This way we can place a widget zone and allow specific widgets in there only (like a footer link widget in the footer area, or a header link widget, etc).

Would be relatively simple. Add a widget class selector field to a Webpart zone that's set to be a Widget zone, then have the Widget selector filter the available widgets based on that.

144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. switch to CKEditor 3

it has better performance compared to FCKEditor.

133 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. LINQ interface to the content tree, custom document types, custom tables, everything!

It's almost 2010, I think we are ready to move beyond simple untyped DataSets...

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Released  ·  5 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Versioning of Page Templates, Layouts and Document Types

We would really like to see the ability to check out and version page templates and layouts. When editing a page template, there is no easy way to undo changes that have been made or prevent two users from updating the same template at the same time. In addition, there is no way to roll back changes on a template or rollback a page to a previous version of a page using a previous template. We use a lot of custom templates and have often accidentally updated a page template and temporarily lost data or had to recreate templates. We…

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. More discount options

For example volume discounts that can be allocated to multiple products (think mix and match volume discount). Also, a discount that applies to one product when another product is purchased.

129 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  E-commerce  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This idea was implemented and you can try it in Kentico 8.

Read our article to find out how new flexible discounts and promotions can help you boost your sales : http://devnet.kentico.com/articles/sell-more-with-highly-flexible-discounts-and-promotions. We are looking forward to your feedback!

PS: Please note, that “Buy X, Get Y” discounts were not delivered as a part of this improvement so we created a new idea you can support: http://ideas.kentico.com/forums/239189-kentico-product-ideas/suggestions/5744083--buy-x-get-y-and-buy-1-get-1-discounts

19. Support for SKU size/colour etc options

Currently the Ecommerce module 'product options' do not work for clothing (and other retail) ecommerce sites that require size/colour type options (or other combinations) with a SKU and stock for each and size/colour combination.

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  E-commerce  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support for Google Tag Manager

Tag Management is important so marketing staff can implement tracking code, and other marketing code, without having to mess with the template on the website.

Google Tag Manager (like other tag management software) creates a 'container' for marketing staff to set up necessary tracking code without bothering developers, or messing up the main code.

Google Tag Manager (GTM) is free, and incredibly useful for advanced online marketers needing to implement and update tracking codes in an agile environment.

GTM FAQ: https://www.google.com/tagmanager/faq.html

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    27 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base