Kentico Product Ideas

Welcome to the community site for sharing and discussing your ideas for Kentico, the integrated marketing solution.

Help us better understand your needs so that we can deliver a product you love. It’s easy!
Simply share your ideas, comment on the ideas of others and vote for those you want to see happen in Kentico.

If you could add something to Kentico, what would it be and why?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for HTML5 input types

Please add support for html5 input types such as:

type=datetime, email, number, tel, url, etc

Currently, the kentico textboxes only support single-line, multi-line and password. Trying to create form controls that utilize any of the other textmode types (such as phone, email, number, datetime, url etc, etc) does not work.

This will improve UX, particularly when filling out forms on mobile platforms, and is requested more and more often.

300 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      21 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →

Hello,

Next version of Kentico will contain a new HTML5 input form control. This control supports most available HTML Input Types, with exceptions for types that are not compatible with Kentico forms. For example, the email, password, datetime-local and tel input types are all supported, but the submit and reset types are not.

To use the default HTML5 input form control, you need to select it as the form control of a field in the field editor, and then configure any required attributes.

You can use inheritance to create custom HTML5 input form controls that allow form editors to create specific types of input fields without any advanced configuration (for example in the Form builder). You predefine the input type and attribute values when creating the inherited controls (using Form Control UI, without custom code).

• Migrate documents from one document type to another

It would be great to be able to migrate documents from one document type to another in CMS Desk (without using the SQL Import tool). This is especially useful when upgrading/overhauling/rearchitecting older Kentico websites.

276 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, this idea is currently being explored an dwe are looking for the best solution.
        I would like to hear your suggestions regarding this functionality to make this as smooth as possible, please add your comments below the idea:

What is the most common scenario?
        - Store administrator who needs to change page type of a product
        - Site administrator during site redesign
        - something completely different

Do you see an urgent need for having this integrated directly into UI:
        - for editors – somewhere in Pages
        - for store admins – somewhere in Ecommerce apps
        - just for global administrator, so that he understands all possible issues that may arise related to system setup, workflow, …
        - no ui, just API

Do you want some kind of auto-mapping of fields or complete control of the mapping?
        - full control, no logic based on same names
        - auto-mapping would do

• Reoccurring Calendar Events

Have the ability to set a calendar event as reoccurring. Have an event be weekly, monthly, yearly or span multiple days.

201 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Provide 'where used' and link checking functionality

For users it is extremely hard to keep track of links, pages and images.
          Especially when the content tree or medialibrary needs to be restructured.

I know there is already funtionality which creates aliasses automatically, but in the end that is not a real solution.

So it would be great if you could see where a specific document or medialibrary-item is used.
          This could be done by analyzing the html which comes from the fckeditor.

It would also be great if some kind of periodically link checking would be done, so the users get notified if there are any broken…

178 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Enhanced smartsearch filter, with resultcount per filter

The facetted search should be extended with an option to show the number of results per filter item. (ListControls)

When one of the filter items is clicked, these numbers should change, and if the number of results would be zero, the listitem (eg. checkbox) should be disabled.

Items which return no results at all (at !IsPostback), should be removed at all.

For instance:
            Category
            [ ] Financial (1)
            [ ] Marketing (3)
            [ ] Web (1)

Document type
            [ ] Download (2)
            [ ] News (3)
            [ ] Product (4)

When filter changes:

Category
            [x] Financial (1)
            [ ] Marketing…

169 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              12 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →

Hi all, we are currently working on this one. I will keep you updated via this comment feed. The first approach is to integrate with Azure search and leverage its faceted search abilities.

• Data Encryption

Allow option to have bizform and custom table data be stored in an encrypted format.

167 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                17 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
              • Select which culture of a document to sync

On multi-cultural sites, almost all of the time you only want to stage / sync one culture version of a document to the live site.

Currently this is not possible, and all culture versions of the document are staged across.

I would like to see either:

a) each culture change shown as a separate staging item in the queue
                b) ability to define which cultures to stage when performing a sync
                c) or both?

Open to suggestions on implementation.

157 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We are currently exploring this idea and we would like to hear your comments on the following technical proposal:

When a staging task for a page is logged, culture code of the culture version will be loggged as a separate database field. This information will be used to filter the staging tasks for a specific culture version. There will be a dropdown list filter availbale in the Staging application on Pages tab as well as a column in the listing to identify the culture.

This way administrator can synchronize only pages in selected culture. Please note that dependencies such as missing parent node for a selected culture version will be handled the very same way as any other dependencies – system ends with an error complaining about missing dependency. You need to make sure that all dependent objects are synchronized in correct order.

Thanks for your comments!

David Komarek…

• MVC + Portal Model (Widgets)

I would have like to start using MVC with Kentico since the company I work for prefers MVC pattern over Web Forms. However after talking to Kentico support we found out you can not use the portal model with MVC.

Is this functionaility planned for any feature release or part of Kentico 8?

148 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello!

We are currently trying to come up with the best model for enabling Content editors and Marketers to compose parts of pages using widgets also on MVC websites.

What do you think about the following:

1. The most important part is to enable business users (Content editors, Marketers) to add and configure components (widgets) in within specific areas (zones) on a page

2. MVC developers know how to create layoyuts/templates and can do that on their onw, only need to be able to mark part of the layout as a widget area/zone

3. MVC developers know how to implement reusable components. If there is a unified way to register such components with Kentico to be used in widget areas, there is no need to develop hundreds of out-of-the-box widgets.

4. The biggest wish for Content editors and Marketersis to be able to influence a section of a specific page,…

• Create "pre-configured web parts"

It would be nice to have an area of the CMSDesk where we could create "pre-configured" web parts. I find that I need to show the same data on multiple pages... and I have to configure the same web part multiple times.

Page inheritance does not always work. Nor does cloning a web part and setting default values (as suggested in the documentation).

Let me explain: I have a web part being used in 15 different page templates. I needed to change the OrderBy value and had to do so for all 15 web parts individually.

It would be nice…

144 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add Privilege level that will allow access to Global applications based on roles

There is a need to allow users access to global applications for editing and maintenance of a sites but allowing them the unrestricted access that the Global Administrator privilege offers is a risk. There is a need to have a privilege level that allowed access to global applications based on roles and permissions. As a custom solution provider we run across this need on every project.

120 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        11 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
                      • Use dependency injection (DI) in the API/code to allow for better testability.

It is difficult to test customized code, especially the e-commerce providers, without DI because it requires the testing code to be running the entire site with full database state. It is only possible to test in isolation by creating lots of mocks and stubs which reverse engineering the necessary calls based on what is being tested.

119 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          13 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
                        • Save & Publish button

When editing content in CMSdesk there is a Save button and a Publish button. It would be useful to add a button that combines both of these, e.g. "Save & Publish".

112 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Tax calculations per ZIP code

In some situations the only way to charge the correct tax on a sale is to look at the purchasers ZIP code. Taxes can vary per state, city and ZIP. It would be great to have the option to control it at that level.

109 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              8 comments  ·  E-commerce  ·  Admin →

Hello,

We are currently in the middle of implementing several customization points. One of those is a “Tax Service” which should be used as a bridge between tax calculation in Kentico and external system or custom logic.

This Tax service is a single point of customization, so it should be easy to extend with a custom logic like taxing per ZIP.

It’s a code block with an input and output where the input is:
                              - SKU
                              - Quantity
                              - Price
                              - Customer
                              - Currency
                              - Date
                              - Shipping address
                              - Billing address
                              and output:
                              - calculated tax

With this new Tax Service should be easy to implement this functionality as customization as the ZIP is available in the address object.

What do you think about it? I’m sorry if it’s too technical, old habits.

thank you

Kind Regards
                              Michal Kadak
                              E-commerce and Platform Product Owner

• Ability to modify page head section and html tag

Add ability to modify page head section and html tag from UI without need to modify PortalTemplate.aspx file.

109 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello supporters!

We are currently exploring this idea and looking for the best solution.

To better understand all the related needs, I would like to ask you a few things:

1. Can you list the most typical changes you need to make to the page template and its head section?

2. Is it ok for you just to be able to modify the Master page or do you need to be able to somehow modify also common pages and their head sections – via their templates?

3. Do you prefer to be able to see and modify some markup directly or do think specific web parts with properties that are then injected into the markup are a better solution?

4. Who and how often is going to do these changes? The developer suring development phase or a content editor during content authoring process?

5. If we only talk about being…

• Email Templates header and footer.

Have the ability to have global headers and footers in email templates. It is a boring job to theme EVERY email on a social site ;-)

109 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  5 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Admin →
                                • Infinite scrolling

Instead of a ordinary pager, provide an option to asynchronously load more items when a user scrolls to the bottom of the page - aka. infitine scrolling. I would also like an option to limit how many times it should load the data(make it finite). It would be also helpful If the URL address changes during the async load(HTML5 History API), so a I can send the address to somebody and he/she views the same content as I.

105 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Get files url with native extensions (image.jpg and not image.aspx)

We need to be able to get the files url with native extensions example ****/image.jpg and not .aspx.
                                    we need this to be used with third party sites, for example we are not able to share an image using Facebook as it sees it as a webpage and not an image, so it doesn't generate preview for it.
                                    In the other hand we are facing the same issue with a 3rd party pdf viewer that we are using.

So allowing the developer to access the url with the native extension will be a great help.

thank you

103 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello to all supporters!

We are currently looking for a way how to move forward with this idea.

Currently, Kentico should generate correct extensions (.jpg, .png, …) when you turn on extensionless URLs and use the runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests.

https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9/Extensionless+and+custom+URLs

1. Did you run into scenarios, where this setup did not work for you? Could you help us by providing examples?

2. Is setting the runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests web.config key fine for your solutions? If not, can you share some comments?

Thanks a lot in advance!

David Komarek
                                      Product Owner

• Support for Accelerated Mobile Pages (aka amp html)

https://www.ampproject.org/

Faster web pages means happier users/customers/stakeholders.

This relatively new open source project has a lot of industry support, and appears to be a framework for improving performance of web pages (particularly for mobile).

Is this something Kentico are looking to support?

102 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Exporting a part of the tree

It would be great to export a sub set of the tree.
                                        As an example export the documents from "~/e-commerce/shoppingcartsteps/%"

This way you can easily create an export containing the shoppingcart templates and the documents, so you don't have to create those documents by hand.

Would make releases easier in my opinion.

Best regards!

101 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Allow Javascript Files from the CMSSiteManager -> Development -> Javascript Files to be Content Staged

Right now there are no staging tasks logged when you edit a Javascript file in CMSSiteManager in Kentico 7. It would sure be nice to content stage these files just like the rest of the objects in CMSSiteManager.

97 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)