Kentico Product Ideas

Welcome to the community site for sharing and discussing your ideas for Kentico, the integrated marketing solution.

Help us better understand your needs so that we can deliver a product you love. It’s easy!
Simply share your ideas, comment on the ideas of others and vote for those you want to see happen in Kentico.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visibility setting for widget properties and other means to make widget property settings dynamic

Currently it is not possible to have a visibility condition for widget properties in MVC widgets.

It is also not possible to dynamically add property-attributes based on code.

In case where I have a checkbox to have a slightly modified version of the same widget I want to have extra fields appear (similar to how that is possible for the form builder or page fields)

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Implement staging for classes in custom modules

Currently only data synchronization for custom module classes are supported. Changes in class definition aren't logged as staging tasks, so import/export of all module is needed for deployment.

Enable staging for custom module classes same way as for page types or custom tables.

Need for import/export in combination with staging is not convenient user experience.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow using Kentico 12 in a mixed MVC and Portal Engine site

Kentico is now moving forward in technology with the new MVC model which is highly appreciated. They also encourage everyone to migrate to the new model announcing an end of support for Portal engine with 2022.

What is stopping us and many customer projects at the moment is:

1.) You cannot create a mixed MVC AND Portal Engine site currently. You also cannot migrate an existing Portal Engine site of a customer to MVC or mixed.

2.) A lot of features which are widely used are not yet available for MVC sites (Existing webparts, widgets, many/all of the social features…

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open source Kentico.AspNet.Mvc

The Kentico 12 MVC integration library, Kentico.AspNet.Mvc, is currently closed source, but distributed through NuGet https://www.nuget.org/packages/Kentico.AspNet.Mvc/.

Basically all of the cool Kentico 12 MVC magic that makes widgets, alternative urls, page templates, and all the other MVC stuff work is within this package.

Currently I decompile the .dlls to help diagnose issues and understand how the MVC architecture integrations with Kentico.

It would be great if this project was open sourced to allow for developers to have more insight and to encourage community feedback and contributions.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Official support for "Feature Folders" pattern in Kentico 12 Mvc

When ASP.NET Mvc was first launched it was a significant change in project and framework design compared to Web Forms. Microsoft needed to place the Framework changes front and center for help developers understand the new pattern.

Now Mvc has been around for 10 years in the ASP.NET world and other patterns, especially in front-end javascript developemt but also in ASP.NET Core, have shown to be more scalable and maintainable.

Feature Folders is a pattern that supports focusing on business feature requirements in naming and file path conventions.

Developers rarely work on "Models" or "Controllers" or "Views". Instead they are…

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Copy Widget functionality in MVC

I would love to be able to copy and paste widgets in MVC just like we're able to in the Portal Engine model

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Content Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Translate Widgets in MVC

According to documentation "Note: Text added and displayed on MVC pages through page builder widgets is not processed by translation services." This will become an issue for a majority of our clients that prefer the widget approach to the CMS administration.

Kentico should seriously consider adding this feature if they want current and potential clients to embrace your MVC solution. We will not be able to recommend Kentico MVC for clients that require integration with translation services until this addressed.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow A/B and Multivariant tests in MVC without the page-builder

I'd suggest that you allow new tests to be created "ad-hoc" in the CMS "A/B Tests" application.

The CMS user should be able to define a list of variant names within an ad-hoc test. These will be the variants.

Then in the MVC application Layout & Views something like this should be possible...

if(@Html.Kentico().ABTest("MyTestCodename").Variant == "MyVariantName"){
    // Add or change markup based on variant in use
    }

Additionally, having the ability to do log conversions against the current variant from within the controller would be required.

The segmentation options should still be available in the CMS UI.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  On-line Marketing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When syncing pages, the staging module should also sync any previous changes made to that page that is still in the staging queue

When working with multiple editors the staging queue can often become a mess. One source of this is when editors selectively push their latest changes to a page, but miss early staged changes to the same object in the queue. This either results in the staging queue filling up with orphaned tasks, or users overwriting each others changes as the older items get pushed after the newer changes due to the manual syncing of items in the queue.

I believe the default behavior for the staging queue when push changes should be to automatically push any queued changes that were…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow custom view engines in K12 MVC

In MVC one of the key extensibility points is the abiltiy to create a custom View Engine.

This is most often achieved by implementing a new View Engine class that inherits from RazorViewEngine - thereby retaining all of Razor's functionality but allowing the MVC developer to specify new or additional locations for Views and Layouts.

This gives developers the ability to create multi-site MVC instances as well as sites that contain different themes.

Per support case 0087006336 it appears that Kentico has made the custom View Engine that they use in Kentico 12 MVC "internal", preventing the end developer from…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow ES2015 modules in MVC PageBuilder inline editor scripts

ES2015 modules are the future of JavaScript dependency management, whether used directly client side or to create bundles on the server side.

It's frankly ridiculous that if I have an "import" statement in a script registering an inline editor for use in PageBuilder widgets, that import statement is not detected; either directly via a quick check of the scripts content (hint: its always the first word if its there at all) or via the commonly used file extension ".mjs".

All that needs to happen to enable this feature is for the page builder to detect the use of this feature…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Properties to MVC Widget Sections

Kentico 12 introduces MVC Portal, which uses Widget Sections to add structure to your widget placement.

These structures do not allow for properties to be passed to them to configure the section. This is important because on mobile-responsive sites, you could have a 2 column (50-50) layout that on desktop is 50-50, mobile 75-25, or you could have a 2 column layout that on large is 80-20, medium 50-50, small 100 and 100, etc.

Along with this many times you want to add a wrapping class to a section to style the elements within it.

We want the ability to…

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. MVC Page Builder allowed Sections

At the moment, I can just set "allowed widgets" in editable areas.

I would like to have "allowed sections" in addition.

With this, I would be able to allow only 1-column sections in concerned editable areas, where it would break the layout if editors would use 2- or multi-column sections.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion! Based on the feedback we received, we are exploring this addition to the Page builder. Can you please share how important the following features are to you?

1. The possibility to specify allowed sections per editable area
    2. The possibility to specify the number of sections that can be added to an editable area
    3. The possibility to specify allowed widgets per section

Thanks

David

14. Man with Van Acton Ealing

Business Address:
    102 Larden Road

London

Grater London

W3 7SX

Business Phone:
    020 8124 0467

http://www.foxremovalservices.co.uk/man-and-van-hire_acton-ealing-w3.html

Description:
    In need of a cost-effective Man with Van service for your property located at 102 Larden Road, London, W3 7SX? Go for our Man with Van company in Acton Ealing London W3 7SX and we will handle your cleaning chores. http://www.foxremovalservices.co.uk/man-with-van_acton-ealing-w3.html

Keywords:
    moving supplies, home removals agency, home storage service, house removal firms

Hours

Every Day: 8am – 8pm

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Services  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show name of template you are manipulating

From the Pages app, if you choose a page, click the General(?) dropdown between Form and Analytics, and go to Template.

From here, you can click Edit Template Properties. I use this section often to edit html on the fly after it's already been set up as a template.

This "Edit page template" page has the name of the site I am editing in General, but it doesn't in Layout (which is where I do most of my work here), so I often find myself having to save changes (before I want to) and go back to General or out…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Implement modern authentication for SharePoint online connections

Currently this is not supported. We NEED it and don't want to have to write our own.

In our SharePoint online tenant, we would like to disable legacy authentication and only use modern authentication. When we switch off legacy auth - per this link - https://blog.areflyen.no/2017/06/18/problem-with-connecting-to-sharepoint-online-in-office-365-with-powershell-sharepoint-designer-and-other-3-party-tools/

We get the following errors:

When testing SPO connection: A protocol error occurred. No sharepoint instance may be running on given URL or the credentials are not valid.

Log shows: Message: Cannot contact web site (our tenant) or the web site does not support SharePoint Online credentials. The response status code is 'Unauthorized'.…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow SCSS in the MVC Model

We should be able to use SCSS in any kentico build, regardless if its MVC or portal engine. Using SCSS to not only organizes your css better but can also speed up wesbite development.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Official support for Attribute Routing in Kentico 12 Mvc projects

Attribute Routing for Mvc has been official supported by Microsoft since October 2013.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2013/10/17/attribute-routing-in-asp-net-mvc-5/

Some developers in the .NET web community recognize it as a superior routing solution to Convention Routing, which is what Kentico 12 Mvc currently uses.

It can be shown that Attribute Routing scales much better in terms of maintenance and flexibility with large projects compared to Convention Routing. These large projects are exactly the type that benefit from using Mvc instead of Web Forms.

Sometimes a combination of Convention and Attribute Routing can lead to the best results for a site.

If Kentico wants to empower…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show server name on System application tile on Dashboard

In a load balanced environment, it would be nice to display the machine name within the System application tile while on the dashboard. When deploying JavaScript files, I need to ensure my browser did not cache the traffic going to one server. This is a quick way to know which server I'm deploying to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Scheduled task email notifications

Scheduled tasks should have an option for sending an email notification when the task fails and when task succeeds, along with the address(es) to notify.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base